The Department of Film and Television is home to internationally renowned researchers with expertise ranging from television drama, film comedy and the Western to colour in film, global cinemas, animation and the screen media surrounding the Olympics.
Academics develop ideas and share knowledge across themed areas representing established departmental research strengths:
- Archives: explores the past of film and other media forms through their material, industrial and discursive traces, working with major national and international archives.
- Classic Hollywood Aesthetics: evaluates achievements of studio-era Hollywood, engaging with key and neglected works of criticism in this area.
- Genre: develops new ways of understanding a range of television and film forms such as comedy, the Western and drama.
- Intermediality: examines medium specificity by investigating how media forms relate to and shape each other.
- Transnational Cinemas: explores how film's aesthetic, technological and cultural forms are shaped by cross-cultural understanding and globalisation.